What’s inside Il Baule – Luxury Figs and Chocolates Gift Box:
- Capicollo – sweet figs with rum, almond and pistachio.
- Melassa – fig syrup.
- Beccafico – dark chocolates filled with figs and cinnamon.
- Sciuscella – dark chocolates with carob.
- Fagottino – figs cooked in fig syrup with rum.
- Scugnizzi – sweet figs covered with dark cocoa powder.
- Dottatini – sweet, dried figs covered with dark chocolate.
- Sciuscia – dark chocolate filled with rum and chestnut cream.
- Mastrino – soft, moist dried figs with almonds and walnuts.
- Limonfichi – rich, dark chocolates filled with limoncello.
- Munacielli – mediterranean lemon zest covered with dark chocolate and pistachio.
Our Producer – Santomiele
In 1999 Antonio Longo took over his Grandfather’s farm near Paestum just south of the Amalfi Coast in the Cilento region of Italy. His dream was to revive the commercial production of a rare, prized variety of fig, the White Dottato fig, which had practically died out. The White Dottato Cilento fig has a dense white pulp that is extra sweet and tender but is difficult to harvest.
Plain dried figs from Cilento taste wonderful by themselves but Antonio’s company ‘Santomiele’ transforms them into masterpieces. They dry them in the hot Cilento sun on large baskets, fill them with almonds, walnuts and citrus peel, flavour them with spices, soaks them in liqueur, cover them in luxurious chocolate and gift wrap them in fig leaves and bamboo shoots. They create exquisite, unique delicacies that are works of art, only available in very limited quantities and exclusively in the run up to Christmas.
Armani and Fiat are regular customers, choosing to send Antonio’s specialities to their very best clients. Even the Queen is said to be a fan after having been given some as a gift by a Lord!
Santomiele has gained a reputation across Italy and in the USA, not only for the attractive and unusual packaging, but particularly for the high standard of the figs and amazing fillings.